Federal aid available to individuals who suffered losses from landslide

Federal financial aid made available by a presidential disaster declaration requested by the Wrangell Cooperative Association is now available for people who suffered economic damages from the Nov 20 landslide.

The assistance includes grants for home or vehicle repairs, temporary rental assistance, replacing essential personal property and loss of subsistence foods, as well as medical, dental and funeral expenses.

The assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency is not available for damages covered by insurance, state disaster relief payments or other programs. However, if losses or damages go beyond assistance from other sources, or the expenses are excluded from other payments, FEMA assistance may still be available.

The assistance is available to anyone affected by the landslide in the community, Native and non-Native.

Anyone who has already registered for the state’s disaster assistance program must also register with FEMA to determine if they are eligible for additional funds.

Individuals can apply for the federal aid by calling the Alaska Helpline at 866-342-1699 between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or apply online at disasterassistance.gov or by using the FEMA mobile app.

Long-term disaster loans are also available to businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations and homeowners and renters to pay for repair or replacement costs not fully covered by insurance. The loans are offered through the U.S. Small Business Administration, and people can visit http://www.sba.gov/disaster, call 800-659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov for more information.

The federal disaster declaration, issued March 15, also gives individuals and businesses more time to file this year’s income tax return. Taxpayers now have until July 15 to file federal tax returns and make payments.

The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to taxpayers with an IRS address of record in a disaster area. Taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief.


Reader Comments(0)